After a long week of work, with grab-and-go breakfasts all week long, we wake up on the weekends feeling really hungry! Eating a real hearty breakfast is a must. This flavorful tofu scramble has become one of our favorite meals, and since we really love handheld food, this time we decided to turn it into a breakfast burrito.
Now, we are not professional chefs or recipe creators, and you may notice that our measurements are not exact. We tend to flavor as we go. Even when we are following someone else’s recipe, we tend to adapt them to fit our taste. Especially with the seasoning, our tastes may differ from yours, so you may need to adapt these measurements to suit your taste, as well. Keep in mind that tofu itself is bland, so you may want to add and taste near the end of cooking.
By the way, we cooked this tofu scramble without oil, instead using the vegetable broth as a sauté medium. Simply add a splash of broth whenever things begin to stick in the pan. If you don’t want to use oil, you can also use water, but we found the vegetable broth added a little more flavor. We hope you enjoy!
Air-Fried Vegan Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burrito
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 oz. mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1-2 cups baby spinach
- 1 block firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- approx. 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon creole seasoning or salt
- Prior to cooking, press the tofu. We have an inexpensive tofu press, and this process takes about 10 to 15 minutes. If you don’t have a press, try putting the block of tofu on a thick stack of paper towels, topped with a small plate. On the plate, put one or two unopened cans of beans or veggies to add weight.
- Begin sautéing the onions over medium heat, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, adding a splash of broth, if necessary. Add the bell peppers and mushrooms, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, turmeric, paprika, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, adding a splash of broth, if necessary. Let cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring well.
- Add the tofu by crumbling it by hand into the pan, to your desired consistency. Stir well and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes until soft. Since tofu has no flavor, taste after a couple minutes of cooking, and add more more seasoning, if needed.
- Add the spinach, stir, and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- Spoon a healthy amount of the scramble into each tortilla, and fold into a burrito. I have found the best way to fold is to fold into a third, then fold in one of the ends. Fold over another third, then fold in the other end, followed by the last fold. Place the open-fold end face down in the air fryer (this will prevent it from opening during cooking) and cook at 400 degrees for approximately 5 minutes, or until golden brown. It should be crispy, but not burnt!
We really hope you enjoy this recipe! There is more to come, so be sure to check out more of our blog posts soon! Of course, you can subscribe to have any and all posts sent straight to your inbox. Just use the form below.
Vegans in Texas